Saudi-led demands not ‘reasonable or actionable’: Qatar
Qatar reviewing document issued by Saudi-led bloc of Arab countries and preparing ‘an appropriate response’.(Aljazeera) — Qatar has dismissed a list of demands submitted by four Arab countries as neither reasonable or actionable.
The list was received by Qatar’s ministry of foreign affairs on June 22, according to a report by the state-run Qatar News Agency.
“This list of demands confirms what Qatar has said from the beginning – the illegal blockade has nothing to do with combating terrorism, it is about limiting Qatar’s sovereignty, and outsourcing our foreign policy,” Sheikh Saif bin Ahmed Al Thani, director of the Qatari government’s communications office, said in a statement on Friday.
“The US secretary of state recently called upon the blockading nations to produce a list of grievances that was ‘reasonable and actionable’. The British foreign secretary asked that the demands be ‘measured and realistic.’ This list does not satisfy that criteria.”
Qatar also said it is reviewing the demands and is preparing an official response after confirming the receipt of a document containing demands from several Arab countries that cut ties with it and imposed a blockade against it earlier this month amid a major diplomatic crisis.
“The state of Qatar is currently studying this paper, the demands contained therein and the foundations on which they were based, in order to prepare an appropriate response to it and hand it over to the state of Kuwait,” QNA said, citing a statement by the ministry of foreign affairs.
Meshal bin Hamad Al Thani, Qatar’s ambassador to the US, also criticised the list of demands.