Compatibility of Oromttiti and Oromticha – Oromo women and men
By Haile Hirpa (PhD)
The Oromo nation has developed a unique culture and a way of life under the umbrella of the “Gada Democracy“. Today, majority of the Oromo people live in East Africa. Due to the 21st century globalization and the mobility of people in the entire world, the Oromo people are now scattered all over the world. Today, Oromo intellectuals can be found in all corners of the world. These movements have advantages and disadvantages. This article is trying to address one of the major challenges that Oromo intellectuals in diaspora are facing and the future trends. Most of the Oromo male intellectual in diaspora are married to Oromo women.
However, most young Oromo men and young women born in the western world have started showing less enthusiasm to get married to each other. They have started questioning why they should be united in marriage. There are several compelling reasons why an Oromo man should get married to an Oromo woman and vice versa. Oromo women are one of the most beautiful human beings. They are Family loving, Trustworthy, Smart, Heroines, Athletic, and very Sexy. At the same time, Oromo men are Elegant, Family loving, Trustworthy, Smart, Heroes, Athletic and very Sexy. These are documented in the history of the Oromo people.
Therefore, the Oromo youth should be educated on the above wonderful characteristics and be encouraged to look for each other. Therefore, Oromo community organizations, cultural entities, religious organizations and educational forums should promote the Oromo marriage rituals. In this paper, the focus is to remind the Oromo professionals and Oromo youth that the Oromo people has a wealth of culture that the current generation has to be proud of.
The Oromos are humble by nature and proud by culture. The “Safuu“ culture molded the Oromo people to be the most humble people on earth and the Gada system made the Oromo people the most proud human beings in the world. Oromos are humble to the extent of sharing their food with the enemy and sharing their houses with their occupiers. Despite of over century years of occupation the Oromo people are still proud of themselves and are not afraid of the enemy. As a society, Oromos have strong characters and weak characters.
There are excellent Oromos and also few selfish Oromos. Oromos are normal human beings. When it comes to qualities of characters, Oromos manifest the following: Oromos are beautiful and handsome. They are heroines and heroes. They are smart, athletics, family loving, sexy and peace loving. Oromos are proud of these characters and they cherish these behaviors. Oromo youth have to be proud of these heritages and promote the Oromo culture and this way of living. I call this “The Seven Pillars Oromo Characters”
- The beautiful Oromo women: In the Ethiopian Empire, the most admired women are Oromo women. It is a general truth that the Wollo women, the Salale women, the Harar women, the Sidamo women and the Jimma women are cited as the most beautiful women in Ethiopia. This truth has been documented in the Ethiopian literatures and several of the Ethiopian artists have acknowledged these facts in their songs. The most beautiful woman recognized in Ethiopia is an Oromo women, by the name, Wubit Amansisa (Wubit Ethiopia), used for advertising Coffee in Ethiopia. Even among, the wives of the Ethiopian Kings, the most beautiful Empress was Etege Menen, who was an Oromo from Wollo. The examples of beautiful Oromo women are countless. For more evidences, please refer to the work of Dr. Peri Klemm.
- Oromo women are true lovers of their families and respectful: Oromo women have proofed to the entire world that they are the true lovers of their families, be it in the times of dire needs or during the times of bounty living. During the different periods of difficulties in Ethiopia due starvation, Oromo women sacrificed their lives to save their children. This fact has been witnessed by so many pictures taken during the Ethiopian starvation. During times of bounty, Oromo women are known for bringing the community together and celebrate together. Most social celebrations in the Oromo society are organized and prepared by the Oromo women. Out of respect Oromo mothers refer to their husbands as “wooraa keenya’ or Abbaa “abaluu”.
- Oromo Women are Smart: In any field of profession, Oromo women have proofed themselves successful. Today there are thousands of Oromo women nurses all over the world. There also prominent Oromo women in the fields of politics, medicine, engineering, liberal arts, life sciences, business, technologies, etc with advance degrees.
- Oromo Women are heroine: The Ethiopian written history basically has a negative connotation, when it comes to the Oromo history. Despite of this fact, some of the Ethiopian historians have admitted that there were very prominent Oromo heroines. For example, they have admitted that W/O Workit of Wollo was the Wollo leader who resisted Aste Theodros and finally, history is manifesting that she was the person who killed him. Etege Taitu, the wife of Minilik was the main leader in the war against the Italians in the war of Adwa. It was because of Taitu that Ethiopia won the war of Adwa. Today there are thousands of heroine Oromo women who are fighting along their brothers, to dismantle the Tigre government to achieve self-determination for the Oromo nation.
- Oromo Women are Athletic: In the field of athletic, Oromo women are the leading figures in the world. They have championed in short distance and marathon running in the world. The best example is Dararitu Tullu.
- Oromo Women are Very Sexy: In the Oromo culture, it is not very common to acknowledge openly, if a person is sexy or not. In western world calling someone sexy is an accepted norm. In Oromo culture, we do not advocate for open acknowledgement about a person’s sexy character, but pay a due patronage for sexy acts. We usually call a person is beautiful or handsome to acknowledge how sexy she is or he is.
- Oromo Women are Fair Minded and Champions of Peace: The Oromo women are humble and fair minded human beings who have been treating other human beings with dignity and respect. The Oromo women believe that they decent who are not inferior or superior compared to other human beings but are equally created in the eyes of God. Oromo women believe in the Oromo culture of “saafuu” and always give peace a chance over any conflict. .
- Oromo Men are Handsome: In Ethiopian Empire, Oromo men are known for being elegant and handsome. During the time of Emperor Haile Selassie Oromo men were hand-picked to be the body guards of the Emperor, because they are handsome. Another justification for the beauty of the men is that they are the fathers and the brothers of the most beautiful women in the world.
- Oromo Men are True Lovers of Their Families: Oromo men in all walks of live have proofed to the entire world that they are the true lovers of their families, be it in the times of dire needs or during the times of bounty living. Oromo men are known for being on the front line to save their family members. During the different period of difficulties in Ethiopia due starvation, Oromo men sacrificed their lives to save their children. This fact has been witnessed by so many pictures taken during the Ethiopian starvation. During times of bounty, Oromo men are known for bringing the community together and celebrate together. Most social celebrations in the Oromo society are organized and prepared by the Oromo men including the Gada system ceremonies.
- Oromo Men are Smart: In any field of profession, Oromo women have proofed themselves successful. Today there are thousands of Oromo men healthcare professionals all over the world. There also prominent Oromo men in the fields of politics, medicine, engineering, liberal arts, life sciences, business, technologies, etc with advance degrees. Today, the leading advisor in the area of food security is an Oromo scientist. Although the Oromo nation has produced prominent scientists, the Oromo nation is still being the victims of hunger and starvation, because of the fact that the Oromo resources are being controlled and exploited by the enemies of the Oromo nation.
- Oromo Men are Heroes: The Ethiopian written history basically has a negative connotation, when it comes to the Oromo history. Despite of this fact, some of the Ethiopian historians have admitted that there were very prominent Oromo heroes. For example, they have admitted that military figures such as Abdissa Aga, Tadesse Biru, and thousands of Oromo military leaders have successfully proofed that they have been heroes in the Ethiopian Empire. The Habashas have also admitted this fact and have recorded in their literatures, usually referred to as the “Ethiopian History”. The first Pilot in the Ethiopian Empire was an Oromo. His name was Bahiru Kaba. Today there are thousands of hero Oromo men who are fighting along with their sisters, to dismantle the Tigre government to achieve self-determination for the Oromo nation. One major weakness of the Oromo culture is that we praise our heroes and heroines after they are dead.
- Oromo Men are Athletic: In the field of athletic, Oromo men are the leading figures in the world. They have championed in short distance and marathon running in the world. Abebe Bikila, the most known; two times Marathon winner was an Oromo. Today, there are hundreds of Oromos known in the field of sports. To name some: Kenenisa Bekele. Mamo Wolde, Lelisa Fayissa, Etc
- Oromo Men are Very Sexy: In the Oromo culture, it is not very common to acknowledge openly, if a person is sexy or not. I western world calling someone sexy is an accepted norm. In Oromo culture, we do not advocate for the open acknowledgement of a person’s sexy character, but we pay a due patronage for sexy acts. We usually call a person is elegant or handsome to acknowledge how sexy he is.
- Oromo Men are Fair Minded and Champions of Peace: The Oromo men are humble and fair mined human beings who have been treating other human beings with dignity and respect. Oromo men preach and practice peace. In Oromo culture, peace “nagaa” has a high prestige. When Oromos meet their first conversation starts with peace. They bless anyone they come across by saying, peace be with you!! (Nagaa bultee? Nagaa oltee?, maatiin kee nagaa? Biiyii nagaa? Jireenyi nagaa?…) Oromos are humble by nature and proud by culture.
From the above short synopsis of Oromo women and Oromo men characters, we can learn a lot of valuable lessons. Oromos lived under the umbrella of the “Gada System” for thousands of years and preserved their beautiful culture. In the last 150 years the Oromo culture suffered under the Ethiopian occupation and got subjugated under the imperial rule. Thanks to the heroine Oromo women and heroic Oromo men, the Oromo Culture has started flourishing and it will continue to flourish no matter how hard the enemy is trying to undermine the Oromo culture and the Oromo livelihood.
Today globalization is a reality of life and human mobility and international human trafficking are unavoidable. Therefore, Oromos are left with one choice alone. They have to be proud of themselves and their heritage. They have to believe in God and science also. Science teaches us that human beings are products of genes and environment. Oromo women and Oromo men (Oromttiti and Oromticha) who have been compatible with each other have to continue seeking each other more than any other time in the past to survive in the era of globalization. Oromos have proofed to the world that they are pretty, true lovers, smart, heroes and heroines, athletic, sexy and champion of peace. Oromos have to be proud of these seven wonderful characters and stick together. This is what we are and this is what we will be!!
Long live Oromia!! And Oromia shall be Free!!
- Oromos have to be proud of their characters and teach Oromo youth the values of Oromo cultures.
- Oromo youth have to create a network that will bring them together
- Religious organizations and community centers have to create programs that will keep the Oromo society together.
- Oromo youth who promote the Oromo culture and advance the value of the Oromo marriage should be recognized and awarded prestigious prizes.
- Oromo artists who are promoting the Oromo culture and Oromo marriage have to be rewarded.