Institutionalized destruction versus desire towards democratization and rule of law
By Dr.Baro Heno Deressa, January 20, 2019
“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” (MLK).
To encounter this disarrayed secrecy of our enemy as an Oromo people, we have to redefine our commitment by saying: even if I died in the service of my nation Oromo, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood and my brothers and sisters’ blood will contribute to the growth of our nation and make it strong and dynamic. Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice and never is the result of selfishness.
The vision of Oromo liberation Front (OLF) is to fully exercise the rights of self – determination of the Oromo people, other peoples and individual rights in Ethiopia and to see New Federal Republic of Ethiopia where the Oromo people contiguously live with freedom, peace, prosperity; respect for democratic rights of nations and nationalities, and peoples in Ethiopia.
To achieve this core goal, new social contract with other nations and nationalities in the struggle against a brutal and oppressive regime to bring about democracy, rule of law, and respect for human rights, is undeniably beneficial for Oromo people interest and the interests of other nations, nationalities and peoples in Ethiopia. This new social contract will bring a lasting solution and an end to the iron grip of oppression and subjugation on peoples who have been suffering for centuries.
In order to realize this vision, the Oromo liberation Front recently made unconditional peace agreement with the government of Ethiopia. With the strong political support, it enjoys in parts of entire Oromia, OLF is in a good position to challenge ODP at the ballot box.
Now in order to assess the Institutionalized destruction of Ethiopian empire let us look some critical points:
- Successive Ethiopian regimes have never displayed humanity or respect for Oromo’s and denied opportunities to build their social, economic, political, cultural and organizational infrastructures. In all spheres of life, rampant discrimination, subjugation, repression and exploitation of all forms were applied. Everything possible was done to destroy Oromo identity – culture, language, custom, tradition, name and origin. In short, the leaders of Ethiopian successive regimes maintained the general policy of genocide against the Oromo people. For example:
- Changing our name (from Badhasa to Tesfaye, from Ebbisa to Xibebu)
- Changing our cities’ name (from Adama to Naziret, from Finfinne to Addis Abeba, from Bishoftu to Dabrezeit)
- Denied all rights to build Oromummaa
- Forming institutionalized assimilation against Oromo people by divide and rule system
- Organizing systematic eviction of Oromo people from their ancestral land and oppressing any types of objection.
- Denying Afaan Oromo to be a working language on federal level while the Oromo people is the majority in the Empire (when you tell about this to the civilized world, they say, this practice is impossible in 21st centuries)
If we truly mean that Ethiopia is for everybody, why the known Ethiopia leaders like Menilik, Haileselase, Mengistu and Meles were killing, torturing, imprisoning and destroying everything that smelt Oromummaa. There had to be some rules in Menilik Palace which give institutionalized order to eradicate Oromo as a people. Again, the proud sons of Oromo people Dr. Abiy and Dr. Lemma left the criminals and thieves in Mekele, Tigray, in peace, small METEC in their armpits in comfortable situation, but start bombing their brave and honest brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers. This episode also confirms the institutionalized order in the Menilik Palace needs Oromo as an individual, but not as organized Oromummaa.
Did Oromo people wage war against other nations? Did Oromo people claim one Amahara city in Gojam or Gondar or Tigrai? Did Oromo people in organized manner steal, rape or kill 8 years old child of other nations, pregnant women of other nations, Did Oromo people evict other nations from their ancestral land. The answer is big NO, NO, NO, NO NO…… Then:
- Why Oromo people is bombed by Ethiopian air force under Oromo son’s leadership?
- Who is funding the destructive propaganda against the Oromo political parties?
- Who is excluding Oromo nationalists from a discussion table?
- Why the members and supporters of OLF are imprisoned?
- Why our former colonizers are happy and dancing by the death of Oromo child, Oromo pregnant women and suffering of Oromo people? Etc.
- Who is killing the child of age 8 and pregnant women of Oromo people?
The answer is the brutal and unfair system of the Ethiopian empire’s long-term strategical policy which is keeping and changing Oromummaa with sabonummaa→to→ gandummaa, abbagarummaa, gadhummaa, haarummaa and gabrummaa.
How did they do that, Oromo people is a great nation??
Service for few: evil elites are aware of the weakness of the majority and the opportunistic view of certain individual in these majority. Again, those elites are critically aware of the fast moving nature of transient consumption and opportunity. Those synergy effect will force the majority to neglect GOD given right in order to fulfill the daily nature myriad demands (house, cloth, food, medication, etc …)
Service for all: majority of the people are unaware of the fox with sheep cloth inside them and expect to fulfill their demands and hope. But the majority trust the government and believe in the government capacity to protect them from harm. Additionally, the majority expect magic remedy to create the bright future. While the step as to be contrary (the people have to take responsibility, share their idea with government and create synergy method to fulfill their demand through mutual understanding).
So, the Ethiopian empire was built on elite from certain groups. Those groups work tirelessly, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 360 days a year to preserve the untouched and holy Ethiopia. According to their definition, holy means killing and destroying all concurrent idea’s, critic or comment out of the certain groups’ elite vision. The vision of those certain elites are year by year, term by term destruction, war, oppression, imprisonment, torture, eviction and death. Mainly they are against the Oromo people.
We as Oromo, our task is not only eradicating our enemy, but our ultimate task is to build a fair system which can serve all by creating oriented nations (to give oriented service). Our task is also to be a role model for our region, Africa and global world because of our quality as a nation with collective parameters (inventor of peace and love model, visionary and optimistic nation, unmatched heroism with immeasurable bravery during peace and war, full of talents with eagerness and the kindest nation on earth). Unfortunately, this great nation with collective parameters is imprisoned in an empire by unfair system. We, the Oromo people as an individual and as a nation, have to confront this enemy with all our ability and forces.
There is no stability without solidarity and no solidarity without stability. So, I am calling upon all Ethiopian people to stand with Oromo people during this difficult time (bombshell from sky on Wellega Oromo, harassment from ground on Wellega and Guji Oromo from their own government. The war on people created internal displacement on Wellega, Harar, Bale, Borana of Oromia regions, including the suffocation of Wello Oromo and totally hopelessness around Oromia). Again, Ethiopian people must reject the institutionalized destruction of certain elites with shrewd policy. We need to voice together for inclusiveness and fair vision.
The Oromo people have two choices to defeat the institutionalized destruction to build a democratic nation:
- strengthen the current government by all necessary intervention (through Abba-Gadaa, through academic vision, through voice of Oromo people).
- Should the first choice succeed, the Oromo people need to take the responsibility as a nation and as an individual to build a military power and create substantial economic power. Mathematically this is very easy. We have many potential individuals to sacrifice themselves for the cause of their nation. This time, the Oromo people have better fertile condition in comparison to the 70th or 80th.
So, when I come to the Oromo people and Ethiopian people in general, I think we need a new social contract among each other (horizontally) and with our government (vertically).
That is building our Social capital. If we realize this, we can bring justice for all, we can build solidarity among all peoples in Ethiopia and we can bring lasting peace for all. Also, we can create a fair system which can serve everybody fairly where people get job according to their knowledge instead of whom they know and we can listen to each other to understand our pain instead of listening to reply.
Social capital broadly refers to those factors of effectively functioning social groups that include such things as interpersonal relationships, a shared sense of identity, a shared understanding, shared norms, shared values, trust, cooperation, and reciprocity. However, the many views of this complex subject make a single definition difficult.
Social capital is about the value of social networks, bonding similar people and bridging between diverse people, with norms of reciprocity. It is generally seen as a form of capital that produces public goods for a common good.
Social capital is multidimensional and must be conceptualized as such to have any explanatory value (Eastis 1998). Some authors see social capital as an economic term and do not adequately take account of its multi – dimensional and multi – disciplinary nature, for example Day (2002).
- Work on to expose the hidden history and lead to do the better history (Menilik massacre)
- Build persistent national academic conferences (study on nation and individual interest, Egere Oromoo fi Oromia, empty political party vs nation interest)
- Explore the trade and finance circulation (ex: create health care with chain reaction)
- Under the help of the academic vision and people desire create the national path (then every political party can create their strategy to achieve that)
- Under the help of the academics, service of nation and international view try to create the images of leadership (nation, party company…).
- Build all entity of the society or sectors on their needs and capacity
- Create national awareness sector as joint force with international actors (nature will kill you before you kill each other).
- Work on ODP-OLF joint force on transparent manner (to produce the public goods for common good).
- Show that government is the base for free stage and expression. But beside the forefront of liberty also government has responsibility to impress the good act and expose the bad act and insufficiencies
- Produce action plan (community basis, network manner, institutional impact and chain of synergy)
Victory to the Oromo people!
Dr. B. K. DERESSA, Medical degree in internal medicine, specialized in Gastro-Hepatology diseases. University Hospital of Brussels-Belgium