Faantuu Damissoo: Yaadannoon kun Hacee qofaaf otoo hin taane,

“Yaadannoon kun Hacee qofaaf otoo hin taane, warra isa waliin wareegamaniifis naaf yaa ta’u.” Faantuu Damissoo

Maatii fi hiriyoonni guyyaa dhaloota Hacee ganna 38ffaa mana barnootaa fedhii addaa Sabbataatti akkanaan yaadatanii oolaniiru.
Qaalii keenya Haacaaluu Hundeessaa bara baraan si yaadanna.
#MaalMallisaa #HaacaaluuHundeessaa #HachaluHundessa
Via: Hachalu Hundessa FB

Oduu Mudde 31,2021- Tarkaanfii WBOn Loltoota PP irratti fudhatefi Yaadannoo guyyaa dhaloota Hachalu


Civilians are drone warfare ‘guinea pigs’ in Ethiopia

Civilians are drone warfare ‘guinea pigs’ in Ethiopia

Rebels in Tigray say the use of drones against convoys has made progress impossible REUTERS

(Thetimes.co.uk)–Ethiopia’s civil war has become a testing ground for military drones that has made its people “guinea pigs”, rebel leaders have claimed.

Multiple purchases of armed surveillance drones at a fraction of the cost of fighter jets and bombers have provided Ethiopia’s leader, Abiy Ahmed, with a war-winning weapon that has forced the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) into retreat.

The rebels in the northern Tigray region of Ethiopia have been fighting government forces since Abiy launched a military campaign in Tigray in November 2020.

The conflict has been marked by reports of atrocities, including civilian massacres and mass rapes, by both sides. The United Nations has expressed concern over reports of large-scale displacement from western Tigray. Just 12 per cent of the food and

Read More

 

Ethiopia: UN Reports Record Number of Civilians Killed in Airstrikes Across Ethiopia’s Tigray Region

Ethiopia: UN Reports Record Number of Civilians Killed in Airstrikes Across Ethiopia’s Tigray Region

Claire Nevill / WFP A general food distribution point in Afar, Ethiopia, August 30, 2021.

Radio France Internationale

Dozens of civilians have been reportedly killed over the past week in a barrage of air strikes in Ethiopia’s northernmost Tigray region – the highest casualties recorded since October.

Last week, the Ethiopian government said that its troops would not advance further into Tigray, signalling a potential pause in fighting even as Tigrayan rebels accuse the military of carrying out several air strikes in the region this month.

The claims by the Tigray People’s Liberation Front rebel group could not be independently confirmed.

On Thursday, the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said that air strikes between 19th to 24th December had “reportedly led to mass civilian casualties, including dozens of people reportedly killed, making this the most intense series of air attacks and casualties reported since October.”

According to OCHA, the strikes reportedly hit several towns across southern Tigray, with one destroying an electrical substation in the regional capital Mekele.

‘Tense and unpredictble”

The agency added “Due to limited access and insecurity in the area, humanitarian partners could not verify the exact number of casualties yet.”

The TPLF announced a retreat to Tigray last week, marking a turning point in the war which has left thousands of people dead and pushed many more into famine.

OCHA said the situation in northern Ethiopia remains “tense and unpredictable” with aid workers struggling to get crucial supplies to those in need.

“No trucks with humanitarian aid cargo have entered Tigray since 14 December,” the agency said, citing security issues.

The fighting in Africa’s second most populous nation has displaced more than two million people and more than nine million are in need of food aid, according to UN estimates.

The war broke out in November last year when Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed sent troops into Tigray to topple the TPLF, accusing its fighters of attacking army camps.

A swift victory was elusive, as the TPLF mounted a shock counter-attack, recapturing most of Tigray by June before advancing into neighbouring Afar and Amhara.

Source: Allafrica
 

Ethiopia: EU fears a migration crisis of historic dimensions in the Horn of Africa

Ethiopia: EU fears a migration crisis of historic dimensions in the Horn of Africa -International

(Marketresearchtelecast)–Brussels fears that the armed conflict in Ethiopia will degenerate in 2022 and cause a humanitarian catastrophe and a migration crisis of historic proportions. Community sources warn of the risk that the war will destabilize the entire Horn of Africa, an area where more than 200 million people live and already undergoes the stress of gigantic internal population displacements. America has sanctions tax some of the Eritrean authorities and companies involved in the armed clash. But in the European Union there has been no unanimity to adopt measures, despite the recognition of the risk of a spiral of violence that destabilizes the entire area.

“The situation in various parts of Africa is worrying and may give us a scare in the coming months,” says a European diplomatic source. The same source points to the war in Ethiopia, where the rebels in the Tigray area in the north of the country are facing the federal Army, as one of the great sources of concern for 2022.

Brussels fears that the Ethiopian conflict will poison even more and end up dragging other countries in the area such as Sudan, South Sudan or Somalia, in addition to Eritrea, already clearly involved. Community sources point out that the outbreak of the area would cause “a migratory exodus of historical proportions comparable to that of the breakup of Yugoslavia.”

That dismemberment from 1991 caused population movements that affected more than three million people and almost one million sought refuge in the countries of the European Union. The demographic shake was of such magnitude that the European countries modified the indefinite character of the refugee status and replaced it with a temporary protection considered merely emergency.

Europe was overwhelmed despite the fact that the former Yugoslavia had only 23 million inhabitants. But Ethiopia, the epicenter of the conflict in the Horn of Africa, is a giant of 112 million people. And it is surrounded by countries like Sudan (45 million), South Sudan (16 million) or Somalia (16 million), which already suffer enormous internal tensions.

In Sudan, 6.2 million people need humanitarian assistance in the Darfur area, according to the internal report that the European Commission periodically prepares on the alert situation of migratory movements. And in Somalia there are 2.9 million displaced people, according to the same report, dated December 15.

Forced population displacements could destabilize an area already hit by other armed conflicts, droughts and famines. And although the geographical distance from the EU is much greater than in the case of Yugoslavia, Brussels considers it likely that part of the migratory flows will move to the old continent through, above all, Libya.

“Ethiopia is experiencing one of the bloodiest wars that are being fought at the moment on the planet,” say community sources. And they show their concern for the peaceful subsistence of the area “even when the war ends.” The conflict, according to data from the European Commission, has already caused the displacement of more than two million people and thousands have sought refuge in Sudan. Sudanese authorities have already threatened provoke a massive exit of migrants bound for Europe or the US.

Humanitarian aid airlift

Since the beginning of the crisis in northern Ethiopia in November 2020, the EU has provided € 70 million in humanitarian aid. For 2021 it had budgeted up to 85 million more. And in September this year the EU activated a humanitarian aid airlift that has brought up to 15 tons of food and health supplies to the Tigray area hardest hit by the conflict. Diplomatic sources acknowledge, however, the growing difficulties in channeling aid to the population most in need, given the violence and isolation of important areas of the country.

“The famine affects more than nine million people in northern Ethiopia,” said the EU’s High Representative for Foreign Affairs, Josep Borrell, in mid-December after presiding over a meeting of EU Foreign Ministers at the The dramatic situation in the Horn of Africa was addressed. “Ethiopia is one of my biggest frustrations because we are not able to react adequately to a large-scale violation of human rights, mass rapes, the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war, assassinations and concentration camps based in the ethnic origin ”, assured the head of the European diplomacy.

Borrell has tried in vain to impose sanctions against those responsible for the greatest atrocities, but has not achieved the necessary unanimity from the 27 EU countries to pass them. The Ethiopian crisis will also hover over the summit that the EU hopes to hold in February 2022 with the African Union. It is an appointment devised to highlight the importance that Brussels attaches to the relationship with the neighboring continent, but which will be marked by the faltering European presence in the most conflictive areas (such as the Sahel or the Central African Republic) and the will of other powers (Russia, above all) to occupy the European void.

The Ethiopian conflict is in a kind of impasse after in recent weeks the federal army has managed to stop the advance of the Tigrayan rebels towards the capital, Addis Ababa, forcing their withdrawal towards the Tigray region. On December 23, the Ethiopian Government spokesman, Legesse Tulu, assured that, for now, the Army had no intention of penetrating Tigray and that it had orders to stay in the neighboring regions of Amhara and Afar. “According to our current assessment, the enemy has been severely beaten and is no longer able to carry out his wishes,” Tulu said. The UN has accused both sides of committing war crimes and serious human rights violations.

The war, which has caused thousands of deaths, some two million displaced from their homes and some 9.4 million Ethiopians in need of help, broke out in November 2020 when Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize winner, accused the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), which governs this northern region, of attacking two Ethiopian military bases. However, the tension between the two sides had been mounting since Ahmed came to power in 2018 and began to displace TPLF members from the main institutions. In 2020, Ahmed decided to suspend the elections due to the pandemic, but the Tigrayans held regional elections in September, in a clear challenge to the central power wielded by Ahmed.

The first three weeks of the war saw a constant advance of the federal troops towards the north, managing to penetrate in the Tigray region after the bombardment of its capital, Mekele. Ahmed, who has had the support of Eritrean troops, even announced the end of the conflict. However, the Tigrayan rebels reorganized and, after a few months of relative calm, launched a counteroffensive in June that first penetrated the neighboring regions of Amhara and Afar and later reached just 200 kilometers from Addis Ababa, with the support of groups. armed with other ethnic groups, such as the Oromo. But the reaction of the federal Army with Ahmed himself displaced to the front for two weeks managed to stop this advance at the end of last November and force the withdrawal of the TPLF towards its fiefdom of Tigray.

Serious institutional crisis in Somalia

As the war rages on in Ethiopia, neighboring Somalia faces a serious institutional crisis. Heavily armed soldiers were installed on Tuesday in strategic sectors of the capital, Mogadishu, and troops loyal to Prime Minister Mohamed Hussein Roble, camped near the Presidential Palace after President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed, known as Farmajo, dismissed the first for an alleged case of corruption. This Wednesday, Roble had a telephone conversation with Molly Phee, US Undersecretary of State for African Affairs, in which she discussed the political situation in Somalia and issues related to security and elections.

The tension between Farmajo and Roble had been on the rise in recent months. At the root of the problem is the delay in the Somali general elections, scheduled for February this year, and which the president decided to postpone until 2023, prolonging his term for two more years than planned and plunging the country into a serious crisis. Both the opposition and a part of the allies of Farmajo they described this postponement as “a threat to stability, peace and unity.” The European Union and the United States threatened to sanction Somalia, a deeply divided country that lives under the constant threat of jihadist violence. The president has already withdrawn the prime minister’s powers to organize these elections before suspending him from his functions. Oak accuses Farmajo of trying to carry out a coup.

Oduu Ammee! WBO Jaal Marro Injifano argachu ibsa WBO

ODUU Hatattama WBO Jaal Marro Injifano argachu ibsa WBO TPLF fi pp wal egale kuno 


SUSTAINABLE PEACE CAN NEVER BE ACHIEVED THROUGH TERRORISM AND MISINFORMATION! (PRESS RELEASE)

(OLF-OLA High Command Press Release)

Following Tigray Defense Force’s territorial adjustments earlier this month, the ‘government’ of the Prosperity Party (PP) has begun two oxymoronic campaigns: a military operation to ‘liberate’ areas controlled by the Oromo Liberation Army (OLA) on the one hand, and preparation to start processes for a ‘peaceful national dialogue,’ on the other. Both campaigns are dead on arrival. Its effort at starting a ‘national dialogue’, which aims to establish a commission the members of which are to be handpicked by the PM himself, is, at best, a very costly joke in a country with dwindling national resources. No national dialogue can be meaningful without being truly inclusive and under the supervision of an independent commission. In its crusade to ‘eradicate’ our forces in the frontlines, the regime’s ragtag army of special police and local militia have been routed on all fronts. Our forces have, as a result, captured more areas and weapons.

To cover up these losses, the regime of Abiy Ahmed is killing, maiming, and displacing civilians across Oromia to point fingers at our gallant and disciplined fighters. Clear evidence is now coming out that directly implicates the Prosperity Party. One of the most egregious cases is the video showing the massacre of Oromo civilians in Wollo that recently went viral on social media. Another equally repugnant act of cleansing the Oromo people of its leaders, its Gada leaders in this case, is the massacre of Gada elders of Karayyu in East Showa Zone. The recent killing of the family of the ex-president of the Oromia region is the latest episode in PP’s recent genocidal adventure in Oromia.

These killings are not mere allegations of wrongdoing on our part. Credible evidence that directly incriminates the regime has been pilling up. Even though for an entirely different reason than seeking justice for the injured public, the government has, for instance, taken full responsibility for the brutal massacre of Gada elders of Karayyu through its current State Minister of the FDRE Ministry of Peace.

The regime is also making use of other tactics to cover up its losses and at the same time denigrate the Oromo Liberation Army in all of its desperate operations. The following are some of the tactics currently in operation:

  1. Deploying Abiy’s troops with artificial wigs to impersonate members of the OLA, and committing atrocities in a frantic attempt to distance OLA from the Oromo people;
  2. Trying to give some credence to its ‘national dialogue’ by parading dismissed ex-members of the OLF and OLA in front of its media outlets;
  3. Utilizing the ‘national dialogue’ itself, in which the regime talks with itself, to deceive the international community into believing that Ethiopian stakeholders of all persuasion are participating in the process.

Hence, the OLF-OLA would like to remind the international community that the regime of Abiy Ahmed is wantonly killing civilians across Oromia, some evidenced from their own admission, in order to defame our forces and the just cause of the Oromo people. It is also tiring to concoct a ‘national dialogue’ in which conglomerate of one political camp—the mono-culture centralizing Menelikans of the Ethiopian Empire State—talk to each other through an ‘independent’ commission to be established by the parliament upon recommendation of the PM.

Victory to the Oromo and Oppressed people!
OLF-OLA High Command
December 29, 2021

Source: Olacommunique

Impoverished Ethiopia seeks extra $2.5 bln to rebuild from war

Impoverished Ethiopia seeks extra $2.5 bln to rebuild from war

A military tank destroyed recently during fighting between the Ethiopian National Defense Force (ENDF) and the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) forces is seen on the roadside in Damot Kebele of Amhara region,

ADDIS ABABA, Dec 30 (Reuters) – Ethiopia wants to pass a supplementary budget worth 122 billion birr ($2.5 billion) to help finance programmes to rebuild areas destroyed by war and provide humanitarian aid, the finance ministry said on Thursday.

The budget is much larger than previously reported in the heavily indebted country. The government-affiliated media outlet Fana said on Monday that the government was seeking a $102 million supplementary budget “to be used for rehabilitation of people affected by war and conflict”.

“The additional budget will be spent on security of the country, humanitarian aid … and other necessary government works,” the ministry said in a statement on its Facebook page.

The request will have to be approved by parliament which is expected to give its approval, but the ministry did not say how the money would be raised.

The Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) and the federal government and its allies have been at war for more than a year. The ongoing conflict has killed thousands and displaced millions.

Among those who have borne the brunt of the conflict are humanitarian workers.

The U.N. refugee agency UNHCR said in a statement on Thursday that one of its staff members had been killed in northern Ethiopia, but gave no details.

Filippo Grandi, the head of UNHCR, tweeted that the staff member had been killed on Dec. 28.