EXCLUSIVE – ‘Please just let me speak to my daughter’: Biological mother of Angelina Jolie’s adopted girl Zahara, 12, demands access from Ethiopia after Brangelina love split
Mentewab Dawit Lebiso was forced to give her daughter up after she was raped
- Poverty stricken 31-year-old was attacked then fell sick after her baby was born
- Jolie adopted the daughter from Ethiopia believing she was an ‘Aids orphan’
- Now Mentewab tells Mail Online she desperately wants to speak to Zahara, 12
- Biological mother says she wants Jolie to get custody after love split with Brad
- Says she is not asking for her daughter back but wants the chance to talk to her
- Mentewab says she has had no letters, photos or money from Jolie since adoption
- ‘I just want her to know that I am alive and long to be able to speak with her’
By PAUL THOMPSON IN ETHIOPIA
The natural mother of Angelina Jolie‘s adopted Ethiopian daughter Zahara has made a heartfelt plea to the superstar actress telling her: ‘Please just let me talk to my daughter’.
Poverty stricken Mentewab Dawit Lebiso told Daily Mail Online she is desperate to be part of her 12-year-old daughter’s life – and called for Jolie to get custody of her daughter in the bitter split with Brad Pitt.
She dreams of one day meeting the girl she gave up as a tiny infant – but said she would settle for the chance to simply hear her voice.
‘I just want her to know that I am alive and here and long to be able to speak with her. I do not want my daughter back but just to be in contact with her and be able to call her up and talk with her,’ said Mentewab, who ekes out a living in Ethiopia.
Desperate: Mentewab Dawit Lebiso is Zahara Jolie Pitt’s biological mother, having given birth to her in Ethiopia after falling pregnant when she was attacked. Mentewab has never had any other children and now desperately wants some contact with Zahara
Bid for reunion: Mentewab, pictured left above, gave birth to Zahara, pictured above right with Angelina Jolie in 2007, in Ethiopia but the baby was put up for adoption as Mentewab was so sick. She is desperately disappointed she has no contact with Zahara
Poverty: The simple home in central Ethiopia where Mentewab makes a living renting out two rooms, which brings in less than £15 a month
New life: The life that Zahara Jolie Pitt would have lived in Ethiopia is far removed from the luxury of Los Angeles and life with Hollywood star and humanitarian campaigner Angelina Jolie. Her biological mother is still living in desperate poverty